Sunday, September 14, 2008

San Diego

I went to San Digeo yesterday to visit one of my best friends. We ended up in a music store where I spent some money on sheet music. I also saw a horn there, a 1960s Conn. Of course I asked if I could play it, and being without a mouthpiece I borrowed one they had there. It wasn't really like mine, but after lessons with Rick over the summer I didn't feel nearly as awkward as I thought I would have. And the horn was actually really nice. I would like to have bought it, but I don't quite have enough saved up to make $2500 vanish on a whim. And I'm still a Yamaha man. Despite rumors to the contrary. I just need to clean mine. And maybe a new leadpipe... Or a descant...

I also met a friend of Rico's, I think a band director. As soon as he heard I was from Etiwanda, and from "back in the day", he got totally curious. It's funny how being there 20 years ago still makes me a celebrity in some circles. And he only really saw the show the year after I left. I chatted a bit with Amy and Mike, and they're shocked. Apparently the last show I did was one of the better ones, and some after the next one too, but they seemed to think that particular year wasn't as good. No accounting for taste, I guess. That was so long ago now... I only remember that it happened, but I don't remember it happening. The memory is funny.

And I took a few snapshots of the Fred Rogers picture I lost in one of my misadventures and uploaded the best one. I need to borrow it and scan it the next time I'm down there...

No comments: